“The higher your energy level, the more efficient your body. The more efficient your body, the better you feel and the more you will use your talent to produce outstanding results.” – Tony Robbins
Time is the best thief that has ever existed. No matter who you are or where you live, it robs you of your life – moment to moment, day by day. You can’t catch time, make it up or lock it away hoping to put a pause on it. And no matter how hard you try, it will always get away from you. For the majority of our existence, we take time for granted, believing it will gift us more tomorrow, next week, next month or next year. But we all know that at some point, unexpectedly or gradually, time will no longer be ours to enjoy. It’s free to use, yet it’s priceless. So… how are you investing your time? And more importantly… do you have the energy to make the most out of every second that’s gifted to you?
Consider the formula… Energy = Power x Time
Time is a constant. Power is a variable. Therefore if you want to increase your energy, you’ll need to increase your power. This will enable to you to make more use of your time – to pack in more of every available minute to do all the stuff you want to and need to. As a capable human, you’re able to get started today to increase your power output. And through repetition, you’ll create an engine (i.e. your body) that has the capacity to break down days into hours, minutes and seconds – utilizing every available drop of time that you have. Frequency and consistency is the key. Einstein described compound interest as the eighth wonder of the world… Just as you invest your money, bit by bit, over time the investment grows – the same is true for working on your physiology. OK… enough talk. Time for action. Let’s get that Power On!
- Brain Power… read, brain puzzles (sudoku), learn a new skill (juggling)
- Muscle Power… body weight exercise (push-ups, squats, pull-ups), weight training, pilates
- Cardiovascular Power… run, walk, swim, bike ride, row
- Respiratory Power… breathing exercises, blow up a balloon
Another method we can employ to make the most of our time is to become energy conservationists. Treat your energy as a rare commodity and don’t waste any of it unnecessarily. By doing this, you are creating efficiency.
Efficiency = Energy Output / Energy Input
We’ve learnt how we can increase our Energy Output. What about Energy Input? How do you introduce energy to your system and convert it to a usable form to have a positive effect on your output?
- Recovery… adequate sleep, massage, meditation
- Nutrition… JERF (just eat real food), cut the CRAP (carbonated drinks – all varieties, refined sugars, artificial sweeteners, processed oils and foods)
- Environment… return to nature as often as possible, “earthing” (walk barefoot in nature – grass, sand, water, beach)
- Sunlight… 10-15min per day – as much skin exposure as possible
Initially this all requires a conscious effort and commitment before it is engrained as a daily habitual practice. Challenge yourself to 30 days of using these strategies to increase your power and efficiency, and become the Master of your Time.